Monday, December 10, 2007

Pats, Snow, and Scroogery

So just a couple of things here to start us off. First of all, Christmas is exactly 2 weeks from tomorrow. It's crazy, but true. If you haven't done your shopping yet, you might as well put it off until Christmas Eve like I always do. I thrive under the pressure. Secondly, my beloved Patriots are now 13-0, one step closer to history, after defeating the Steelers in spectacular fashion. Yes I'm excited, and yes we're going to be undefeated.

You know it's a funny thing this year, December feels different. I can't put a finger on it, but something doesn't feel quite the same. Christmas is coming fairly quickly, and I haven't been pissed off about it this year. You see, it's not that I don't like Christmas, because I enjoy the actual holiday very much. I just hate the season. Everyone gets stressed out and usually cool people suck to be around. People should be happy and joyous and taking in the meaning of the season, but it frequently has the exact opposite effect on the masses. As I stated before, this has seemed less true this year. I'm watching Christmas movies and helping to decorate at home and work, and I'm not bothered a bit. Merry Christmas to all I say.

Another major change this year has been my lack of disdain for the winter season. Having grown up in harsh Vermont winters, I've always hated the season. I don't ski, I snowboard rarely and I don't own a snowmobile. Perhaps I hate the season because I have nothing to do, but more likely because it's a cold, long, pain in the ass. However, even though we have close to a foot of snow on the lawn, I'm not bummed out. In fact, when we had a snowstorm that lasted around 4 days, I said let it snow. Why? Because I drive a Subaru WRX and drifting around the snowy streets like a reckless rally driver makes me happy. Very happy. It's so damn fun I get into my car late at night and find a snowy parking lot to dick around in, despite the cold temperatures. I'm not sure how long this will last, but anything that takes away from misery adds to happiness I always say, so I'll embrace it.

Other than that things are fairly standard, but those two facts change a great deal of the season for me. And luckily, they change it in a positive way. That's really all I've got to say today, other than telling you to think about whether or not this year is different than past years for you. If not, change something. If you can't be happy about a new thing, be upset about a new thing. It's better than being content to live out your life the same year after year. Happy Holidays, see you next week.

No comments:

 
Add to Technorati Favorites